Sunday 16 October 2011

Birding Tips

March 2008, my first ever Jack Snipe (after some assistance from Boulmer Birder) at the old tip at Widdrington.

I fancied another go so off I trolled this afternoon and it was not how it was then.  The entire site, once a snipe-fest due to expanses of muddied reed beds, is now a wee wood, with hods of birch and other trees and so nowhere for my quarry to hide.

I did not stay long.

RVP No. 2 was the River Blyth in the region of the A189 bridge, with expanses of mud feeding Redshanks, Dunlin, Curlew, B-h Gull and on the east side of the Spine Road bridge, a Curlew Sandpiper.  Nice!

On the west side, after some guidance from two very likely lads in camo gear and with 'holstered' air rifles (corroborating intelligence from The Guvnor yesterday), a Little Egret fed on the north shore.

And after some interesting dialogue with another local, the first bird flew east and out of sight, but he then spotted another in a tree on the north shore.

Any photographic tips gratefully accepted, as these birds were washed in Persil and were whiter than white in the falling sun.  How do I get rid of the glare?

No comments:

Post a Comment