Monday 27 September 2010

Flat Sea

Trying to follow yesterday's ornithological extravaganza was never going to be easy.  And it wasn't!

07:20 @ Snab, full of expectation but not matched by Mother Nature, I am unhappy to say.

No geese, nor shearwaters, and only one u/k skua.  Small teams of Wigeon, Kittiwakes, Gannets and GBBGs, as well as BHG, Mallard, Grey Heron and Cormorant Two Common Scoter and two Tufties too over the next two or so hours.

R-t Divers were busy, with 2, 1, 2 then 5.  And 13 Redwing in (2 did a u-turn and went straight back out to sea!  I know I'm getting on a bit but that's quite insulting!!).

There was a P-f Goose on the rocks running west from the point (the south facing shoreline), which sat forlorn and let me get very close, its right leg and eye appearing to be in difficulty, so I guess it's not long before it joins the 'choir invisibule'.

On the sea, the GBBGs were gathering around a dark grey 'mass', one even perching on it; a dead seal/dolphin, perhaps.  When I moved from the low rocks to the 'cliff top' I could not re-locate the thing so it remains a mystery.

No Bramblings at Big Waters feeding station late morning, nor Y-b Warbler at Woodhorn Church mid-afternoon.  The Mound was quiet, as, in the main, were the Ash Lagoons, except for the areas of 'thicket' on the side of the Lagoons to the north of the burnt gorse with some interesting calls but no appearances.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't see any Redwings today. If I had, it would have put me on 213. Glad to hear they are starting to arrive though. 213 coming soon!

    ReplyDelete